Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Kyalami Preparation

What have I been doing wrong in 2007? Basically everything, it's been a shocker and I'm ashamed to admit it.

With these low powered cars, concentrating on exit speed is KEY. KEY KEYKEYKEYKEYKEYKEYKEYKEYKEYKEKYKEYKEY

I followed an ex-champion around the track in the final session of the year, and I wanted to vomit. I haven't been using all of the track. Sounds daft, but there's always more, even use the damn grass sometimes if need be. The killer instinct is not there....and trust me I'm pissed off.

I've loaded up the Beetle mod in rFactor for Kyalami....it's okay. Bounces a lot, but the gearing is almost perfect when set to the shortest diff ratio. I've learned a lot by driving this thing for a few laps...and possibly where to change down to 2nd gear where I'm using 3rd on the real track. Also I've been using my right foot to brake, in some places where I don't change down a gear and use the clutch I'm going to use my left foot to brake....which is difficult in a real car, the sensitivity of the left foot is usually non-existent, after mashing it all the time on the clutch pedal. But the extra tenth gained will be crucial.

I reviewed my laps on MoTeC, and the 1st thing I noticed was that my pedal hasn't been pushing 100% throttle for the past week or so since I last checked it. Nice. The main things I could see was definitely brake earlier and set yourself for the corner apex, and get on the throttle ASAP, slide if need be, it's better than overdoing the entry. Again, a simple concept. But its really accentuated at a lower speed, and you can see it like night and day in MoTeC. The concept is easy to abuse when you're on track, you don't notice it at all. I really need to have my receptors out and about good and proper this weekend to pick up any screwups I'm doing...it's just so easy to do, I have to consciously remind myself every corner I think. EVERY corner because I am SO ANGRY. I know it sounds simple, but if you're a simracer, actively try and do this from now on and you'll find more time guaranteeeeed.

I'll see how it goes, have to make the best of a not-so-good situation. I'll aim for top6 and top5 as a miracle. I don't like being 2sec off the pace as I was last year at Kyalami, I have to change something drastically, and always try even though I may end up slower.

Bye and see you on the other side.

No comments: